Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pedagogy Through Performance? June 10, 11, & 12, 2008


This week, I approached the "Role Play: Curriculum Night" assignment with dread. I have never enjoyed being the center of attention, much less being a performer. However, in preparation for the task , I realized that teachers must perform. In fact, teachers are performers.


Each time a teacher speaks befor her class, she is performing. The manner in which she speaks can greatly affect the students' learning. If the teacher speaks in a monotone, unenthusiastic voice behind a podium, the students are unlikely to be active participants in the instruction. However, if the teacher speaks with energy in a dynamic and engaging manner, the students' attention will be held and maintained. Furthermore, if the teacher involves the students in the performance, learning will be maximized. With advance planning, the teacher may enhance her performance through the use of props or interactive media.


So, upon reflection, I know I must become comfortable being a performer. The best way to do this is to view the opportunities to instruct as a graduate student as opportunities to practice my acting skills to be used in my future practice.

Click here to view suggestions on public speaking:


No comments: