Sunday, June 22, 2008

Final Reflection - June 17,18, & 19, 2008



I did it!

It's hard to believe that this course is over. The past five weeks were very challenging. There was so much work to complete and I didn't think I could do it, but I did! While the workload was a challenge to manage, I'm proud of the effort I put forth and the quality of work which I produced. The remainder of the summer is going to be so enjoyable after achieving so much.

Technology Convert

When this course began five weeks ago, I found MOODLE to be an awkward and cumbersome system. I was printing many of the assignments and my binder was filling quickly. However, as the pace of the course intensified, I was forced to navigate MOODLE without printing in order to manage my time effectively. Soon enough, I was accustomed to reading and completing my assignments on the computer. In fact, I discovered many benefits to the system. First there was no heavy (and expensive) textbook to lug around. All my assignments were available on the Internet at all times, no matter where I was. There was no need to search through piles of paperwork in order to find a single document. Additionally, MOODLE allowed for instant teacher feedback, making corrections easy and efficient. Once I overcame my reluctance to fully explore MOODLE, I found it to be a convenient enhancement to my learning experience.

Standards - A Necessary Evil

Prior to this course, I knew little about standards. When I began to explore the various national and state learning standards, I wondered if they were really necessary. For an "abstract" thinker like myself, they are long, boring, and complicated.

Before starting my Unit Plan, I had a few activities in mind which correlated with my theme. However, when I tried to align the activities with the standards, it became evident that the activities had little educational value. It was then that I realized that standards are necessary to ensure effective planning and valid instruction.

No comments: