Thursday, May 29, 2008

What Assessment Means to Me - Thursday, May 22, 2008


In this day of one standardized test after another, I am led to wonder: What is assessment and what is its purpose?
Today in class, we explored this topic. Is assessment simply a written exam at the end of an instructional unit?

Through our assigned readings and class activities, I have learned that assessment is not merely a tool to judge if a student has learned the content of a course, but a process which allows the teacher to monitor student learning and adjust instruction accordingly. In class, I have noticed that Dr. Smirnova continually asks questions to check for understanding and guides the student toward understanding. For example, I was speaking within my group and said, “Assessment is a tool…” Dr. Smirnova gently asked me , “Mary, is it a tool?” Which led me rethink my definition. She could have simply corrected me and told me the correct answer, but by redirecting my thought process, she was able to stimulate my higher levels of learning. Thus, I was able to truly understand what assessment is and not just memorize a definition.

To my future classroom, I will take the idea that assessment is more than a test at the end of a unit. It is a process to be incorporated in my unit plans to monitor student learning throughout the unit. If I have executed the process correctly, the unit test should be an opportunity for the student to demonstrate what they have learned, rather than a anxiety-inducing exercise. This is an important attitude for teachers to have, particularly in this era of high-stakes testing.


*Click here to read an article on interventions to reduce test-taking anxiety: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KOC/is_2_6/ai_96194767/pg_1

No comments: